The library started its activities in 1981 as a small reading area under Fisheries Research Institute Branch in Pulau Kambing. It was named PSIM Library (Perpustakaan Pusat Sumber Ikan Marin) in 1989 under PSIM Pusat Sumber Ikan Marin; renamed in 1992 as MFRDMD Library under SEAFDEC MFRDMD. In 2005 it was renamed as KMC Knowledge Management Center.
- To serve as an information center in fisheries and fisheries management in Malaysia and in the region.
- To provide a comprehensive coverage of literature for research and development in fisheries for the department.
- To serve the information needs of MFRDMD researchers and staff.
Fisheries Management (Marine and Inland Fisheries) with special topics:
- Stock Assessment
- Fishery Biology
- Fisheries Oceanography
- Resource Exploration
- Sea Turtle Research and Conservation
The collections covered range from basic biological research to socio economic fisheries.
The library provides services such as:
- Reference and referral services
- Books loan
- Newspaper clippings on fisheries
- Inter-Library Loans
- Photocopying service
- Internet access
The Library is open to all employees of MFRDMD and its agencies. Members of the public who wish to use the library facilities are required to register at the library counter. Service are provided for reference use only; however, a photocopying service is available at 10 cents per copy.
|Sunday – Wednesday||(8:30 am to 4:30 pm)|
|Thursday||(8:30 am to 3:00 pm)|
The library is closed every Friday, Saturday and during Public Holidays.
- Loans of library materials are limited to 5 books to be borrowed by registered staff only.
- The loan period for all materials is 4 weeks, subject to recall when needed by another user.
- Library materials on loan are not transferable.
- Library users are responsible for any loss or damage to library materials on loans or used by them.
- No library materials may be removed from the library without being issued.
- Officers from other government department may borrow library materials through the Inter-library loans system
Reference Services or Readers’ Guide and Assistance.
- This service provides quick answers by e-mail, phone or in person who looking for MFRDMD SEAFDEC information sources. The librarian will try to assist and provide instructional service to identify information sources on the related subject.
SEAFDEC Newsletter and Fish for the People are also listed selected current articles and information for the attention of researchers within member’s countries.